Google decided not to trust certain SSL certificates and they set a cutoff date that is approaching soon. We advise everyone to do the following easy steps to see if your site is affected. The resolution is a simple support ticket to get the SSL reissued followed by a couple emails.
NOTE: Chrome 70 is the version that will “Distrust” certain GeoTrust & Symantec SSL certificates but is currently not scheduled to be released until September 2018.
How to check your SSL:
- Use your Chrome browser on a computer and open up your website in secure mode (HTTPS).
- Now open Develper Tools (Windows click F12, Mac Command+Shift+i)
- and select the “Console” link/tab.
- If you see warnings like this “The SSL certificate used to load resources from https://YOURSITE.com will be distrusted in M70. Once distrusted, users will be prevented from loading these resources. See https://g.co/chrome/symantecpkicerts for more information.” ** YOURSITE.COM is a placeholder. This is where it would say your actual domain name.
- If you see warnings for other sites but not yours, you’re ok.
If your SSL is affected:
- If your site is hosted with Miva open a support ticket with them here: https://support.miva.com/supportsuite/index.php?/Tickets/Submit and you can use this as your message:
Hi Miva Support:
Our site _______YOUR DOMAIN NAME_________ is a affected by Google’s distrusted SSLs. We get the following error in the console on Chrome:
“The SSL certificate used to load resources will be distrusted in M70. Once distrusted, users will be prevented from loading these resources. See https://g.co/chrome/symantecpkicerts for more information.”
Can we start the process to re-issue our SSL please?
Billing CC: __CREDIT CARD TYPE__ ending in ####
YOUR DOMAIN NAME
YOUR COMPANY NAME
- If you do not know who hosts your site or would like us to help please open a support ticket with us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org